Our network

Home & Garden

Thanksgiving--Busiest Day for Fires

From Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department:

Thanksgiving Day is the busiest day for the fire service. From 2006 to 2008, an estimated 4,300 Thanksgiving Day fires occurred in the United States causing 10 deaths, 50 injuries, and $30 million in property loss, according to the U.S Fire Administration. 

An estimated 2,000 Thanksgiving Day fires in residential buildings are reported to fire departments each year and cause an estimated average of five deaths, 25 injuries, and $21 million in property loss. Thanksgiving Day fires in residential structures occur most frequently in the afternoon hours from noon to 4 p.m., peaking from noon to 1 p.m.

Can Carbon Monoxide Be In Your Home?

From Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department:

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless, tasteless, toxic gas. It causes about 300 accidental fatalities in homes each year; thousands more are treated in hospitals for CO poisoning. 

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning exposure include: headache, fatigue, nausea, dizziness, and confused thinking (victims do not think clearly enough to get assistance). Without treatment, the victim will lose consciousness and possibly their life. Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete combustion of fuels.

Common carbon monoxide causes include:

Keeping Warm: Alternate Heating Source Safety Tips

From Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department:

The fall and winter are upon us. The cooler temperatures cause many of us to seek out alternative sources to heat our home and keep warm. Alternate heating sources are a major contributing factor in residential fires. The following safety tips will help you keep a safe home.

Use Caution When Burning Candles

The following was sent to us by Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department:

Candles can provide ambiance and add warmth and coziness to a home. Candles are also often used when severe weather causes a power outage, leaving homeowners in the dark. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, approximately 17,400 candle-related fires occurred in homes annually. Approximately 180 deaths and 1,575 injuries are attributed to candle-related fires. On average, one home candle fire is reported every 34 minutes.

     The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department recommends residents use products such as battery-operated or electric candles and flashlights. If residents elect to use open-flame candles, follow these recommended safety tips:

Firefighters Check Smoke Alarms, Provide Home Escape Plans

From the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department:

On Saturday, November 6, 2010, from 9 a.m. to noon, firefighters will canvas homes in selected neighborhoods throughout Fairfax County, checking for working smoke alarms, and providing family fire escape plans for residents.

The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department will partner with the U.S. Fire Administration in supporting the Install. Inspect. Protect. Campaign. The initiative emphasizes smoke alarms, escape plans, and home safety walk-through to eliminate fire hazards from homes.

A working smoke alarm can help you and your family to escape a deadly fire. It can also help save the lives of firefighters who would otherwise have to risk their lives by searching a burning home for residents. A working smoke alarm continuously scans the air for smoke, 24/7. It never sleeps.